To make the salsa:
Carefully place the garlic and onion into a food processor. Pulse until well chopped.
1. Remove the food processor’s lid and add the lime juice and tomatoes.
2. Pulse several times until the tomato is chopped, but not liquefied.
Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a small bowl using a spatula.
Season with cilantro, if desired, and salt and pepper to taste.
To complete the Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas:
Preheat the broiler.
1. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the breast is no longer pink in the middle.
3. When the chicken breast has cooked through, transfer it to a plate and set aside
*All cooks should care to wash their hands with soap and warm water after touching raw meat.
1. Place the beans into a food processor and pulse until the beans reach desired consistency.
2. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Shred the chicken with your fingers or carefully chop into pieces with a small knife.
1. Lay 4 of the tortillas out flat on a flat surface.
2. Place a few tablespoons of the puréed black beans on top of the 4 tortillas.
3. Top with equal amounts of shredded chicken and grated cheese.
4. Place the remaining 4 tortillas on top of the chicken and cheese.
1. Place a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
2. Lay each quesadilla onto the skillet and cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the bottom tortilla begins to brown.
3. Flip with a spatula and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side, or until the cheese has melted.
4. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
1. Slice each quesadilla into quarters with a large knife and place 4 pieces on each plate.
2. Garnish with salsa and enjoy!