Q&A with Barbara Hughston
- What is your name?
- Barbara Hughston
- What was your very first cooking experience?
- As a teenager, I cooked with my older brother who later attended the Culinary Institute of America. We made gingerbread.
- Do you ever make mistakes cooking?
- Burning things in the oven. I am still learning to SET THE TIMER!
- Who taught you how to cook?
- My mother was a very healthy cook so things started there. I became interested in the garden and growing my own herbs and vegetables after meeting the owner of The Sugar Loaf Inn in Chester, NY. I worked there and never looked back.
- Why do you like to plan and make meals?
- I love the process of revamping recipes,then finding the ingredients I need to make it better for you.
- What advice do you have for kids to learn to cook?
- Find a mentor and allow them to show you how to cook. Then cook and don't be afraid to make mistakes, it's only food.
- Why do you like zisboombah?
- I love all the recipes they have posted. And the food game ! it gets kids connected to their food, its awesome!
- What is your favorite food?
- Indian food and breakfast.
- How long have you been a chef?
- I've been cooking since my early 20's. That amounts to over 30 years. My inspiration came from a lady named Gail King in upstate NY.
- Where do you work now?
- What does your day consist of?
- Gardening, shopping and chopping, and chopping!
- What thought process do you use when making a meal?
- It's all about the love that goes into a meal.
- If you have kids, do they like to eat your food?
- My daughter loves pizza and grilled cheese.